Performing a physical wireless site survey is the only way to develop accurate wireless path calculations to ensure performance of a wireless backhaul and last mile (Cellular, 4G LTE / WiMAX, 5G Micro Cell, WiFi, RFID, Wireless Mesh) network.
A wireless site survey, also called an RF survey or wireless survey, is the process of planning and designing a wireless network, to provide a wireless solution that will deliver the required wireless coverage, data rates, network capacity, roaming capability and Quality of Service (QoS).
A wireless site surveys should be performed for a point-to-point wireless bridge, point-to-multipoint wireless backhaul and last mile (Cellular, 4G LTE / WiMax, 5G Micro Cell, WiFi, RFID, Wireless Mesh) network.
This is true for both unlicensed wireless backhaul and licensed microwave links. There are many things to take into consideration when surveying a wireless Ethernet bridge, such as line of sight, trees or other Fresnel Zone obstructions, mounting elevations, radio equipment (frequency, path loss, gain, etc.) These and other variables should be addressed to assure that path calculations match up to the ‘real world’ environment.
A Site Survey may include the following procedures :
- Capture GPS coordinate readings for path calculations.
- Provide digital photographs (facility, path, antenna location, cable routes, etc.)
- Identify locations for mounting solutions (mast / tower).
- Discover present or potential egress points.
- Determine potential obstructions to line-of-sight & Fresnel Zone.
- Identify any possible environmental restrictions.
- Identify any obvious points of wireless interference.
- Discover proper grounding, lighting and surge protection.
- Create Build-of-Materials and product recommendations.
- Provide budgetary quotations.
Wireless site survey can also mean the walk-testing, auditing, analysis or diagnosis of an existing wireless network, particularly one which is not providing the level of service required. iWire365 provides comprehensive wireless survey engineering services.